Volunteer at NAAM
Volunteering at the Northwest African American Museum is a great way to support arts and culture in your community. Please take a look at our volunteer positions and benefits then follow these simple steps to get involved.
* Unlimited free admission to the Museum
* Behind-the-scenes access to the Museum
* Continuing education opportunities specifically for volunteers
* Recognition at Annual Volunteer Appreciation Event
* Meet others with an interest and love of African American art, history and culture
Volunteering at NAAM is as easy as 1-2-3
- Fill in the volunteer form below
- Attend a volunteer orientation where you can submit your completed application
- Become part of the NAAMily!
For additional information, please contact Visitor and Volunteer Services Manager or call 206 518-6000 ext 118
Visitor Services Volunteers:
Special Event Volunteers:
Our Special Events Volunteers serve as ambassadors of the Museum during our public and private events. They greet and welcome guests and orient them to the Museum’s amenities and layout. They maintain confidential information, conduct themselves professionally at all times, wear business casual attire, work with and assist staff, conduct coat check duties, and of course, have fun.
Required Skills: Communicate well with the public, complete an orientation and training session which includes light readings, warm friendly attitude, and a passion for and understanding of the Museum’s mission, vision and values.
Office Support Volunteers:
Office Support Volunteers assist staff with the Museum’s day-to-day operations. Tasks include copying, collating, filing, helping with large scale mailings, and providing telephone or other clerical support.
Required Skills: Detail oriented, self-driven and comfortable using communication technology (i.e. telephone, computer). This volunteer position may work with confidential records and requires discretion.
Becoming a Docent and giving tours to museum visitors is a meaningful way to contribute to NAAM. Docents partake in a ten-session training program that prepares them to share the rich history, art and culture of African Americans of the Northwest with others in the community.
Required Skills: The ability to communicate effectively with others; a warm and friendly attitude; the ability to commit to the time and effort required; a sincere interest in furthering the vision of the Education Department, and a passion for and understanding of the Museum’s mission, vision and values.
- Make a minimum commitment of six months and establish a regular schedule.
- Abide by the policies and procedures of the Museum.
- Abide by the Standards for Museum Volunteers.
- Attend a general Museum volunteer orientation and any training sessions required for your volunteer position.
- Attend continuing education programs and Museum events, as provided, to enhance your knowledge of the Museum and your professional skills.
- Collaborate with staff and other volunteers, accepting supervision and evaluation of your volunteer work.
- Communicate with staff and volunteer leadership. Your ideas, comments and feedback are welcome.
- Successfully pass a criminal history background check. NAAM does not accept court-appointed volunteers and has a minimum age requirement of 15 years old.